The Linda Report: Interrupted story

Interrupted story

...Well pretty much everybody, the six women in the office area let out a collective "gasp" before the doctor could be heard calling "Mobilize people!" They thought I was having a seizure. (It's me, "The Patient"! Hi! : ) They did fine work.

Last thing I knew I was standing at the counter waiting to here about the details of the home health care set up for the next day. My head got a "swimmy" feeling and before I could get out the words that I needed to sit down, my body did it for me! The next thing I heard was "stay down, it'll be O.K." and felt was gentle pressure on my shoulder. I thought "What do you mean 'stay down'? I'm standing up. Of course I'm O.K."

When I opened my eyes I couldn't believe it I'm flat on my back with a very strong pain coming to focus on the back of my head. Dr. G and Nurse T kneeling over me with calm but alert looks on their faces asking questions, taking my blood pressure and reassuring me. And poor Jeff with a controlled shock face staring down at me. I realized what happened and couldn't believe it!

They took great care and the ambulance took me to the ER - ran all sorts of tests, and I was fine. Dr. G called ahead and set up things with the E.R. and everything blood, EKG, CT of the brain and who knows what else, looked good. It ended up I had an episode of - syncope from benign causes " not a reason to worry"- a fainting spell - or "the vapors" if you're Mr. Hal.

Turns out a lot of things can make that happen. But what the E.R. doctor surmised is that going from the high level of activity with work and consistent exercise prior to surgery and the last couple of weeks especially last week of no activity my vasovagal nerves or vasomotor system had kicked in and took me down.

Thank goodness it happened at the doctor's office and no where else and I wasn't seriously hurt and I don't think I'll need a physical for a good while : ) Sadly I did scared a number of people, especially Jeff. I got a good case of whip lash - yes go ahead and laugh and felt really embarrassed for causing so much drama, although grateful it's just something that happens and nothing else was wrong.

The home health care nurses - who have turned out to be fantastic - are coming to check the incision and change the dressings twice a day and I see Dr. G on Monday. Nurse D. today said it looked better from even this morning and there wasn't much drainage. That did me a lot of good. It's frustrating to wait to heal, especially when it's not healing like it could.

I'll probably be doing the bulk of the updates from now on as our favorite Sports Editor has no time to blog. He's up to his ears in spring sports and more at work, and his unaccustomedness to the usual domestic duties and of course the dramatic medical visits don't help free up his time.

I've used up about most of my hour of allotted sitting at the computer time. Jeff's being very careful with what I am allowed and not allowed to do. So, I'm going to go relax in the big, comfy chair with a very thoughtful gift from Begs, filled with music and words to sooth.

Thank you for all the prayers, cards, gifts and visits. It has truly been humbling to be on the receiving end of so much love. I miss you all very much. Just give a call - if you want to come by. I promise I'll tell you if it's too much.

"The Patient"

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment