The Linda Report: Resting after a long day

Resting after a long day

Our favorite patient was resting comfortably when I left Rockdale Hospital at 9 p.m., at least trying to. Respiratory therapy showed up as I was leaving. It's been a long day, but she's doing great.
The day started with Fr. John dropping in at 6:15 a.m. in pre-op, telling the nurses that he came because he felt Linda might be a troubling patient.
Thanks to all of our friends who showed up and waited, patiently, to hear the news from Dr. Garrett. I went out to get some breakfast and when I returned to the waiting area, Iris Grant was there. Then Maria Johnson showed up with a hot chocolate for me from Kaiteur, our favorite coffee shop (Thanks Moose, he's the owner) . Laurie Ashmore, Linda Manning and Beth Gowasack also made appearances and added to the lively discussion. It was quite a group and definitely made the wait much easier. I don't mean to brag, but we were the life of the waiting room!
Also, Dr. Mike made a stop during his rounds at the hospital, and later Deacon Fred stumbled upon us.
It is such a blessing to have so many friends in our lives.
Dr. Garrett came out and talked to me around 10:15 a.m. and said everything went well. The biggest news: No cancer.
By 11:30 a.m., Linda had moved up to Room 269. Apparently, by chance, she rode up the elevator with Deacon Fred, who filled her in on the happeings in the waiting area.
We actually both took about an hour nap around 1 p.m., which we both needed by that time.
Linda's mother visited in the late afternoon while I made a quick pass through work to share the good news and then came home to have some lunch.
I returned to the hospital around 5:30 and our patient was still doing well.
In the evening, she even had some visitors that seemed to lift her spirits even more. Although it's not like she needed that, she's been barking orders from the bed already.
Anna Milam stopped by first her and brought her some wonderful fuzzy slip-ons to wear on her feet. Lori McManus and her husband were next with a stuffed frog and some tulips.
Thanks guys for coming, I know it really made her evening.
After the visits, we both dosed off again until around 8:15 p.m.
When I left, respiratory therapy was making its first visit, introducing her to what Deacon Bill Brandt and I have termed the "instrument of torture." If you've had surgery recently, you'll know what I'm talking about. Mine is resting in pieces after being mysteriously crushed by a sledge hammer. And yes, I waited the appropriate amount time after my surgery to be using a sledge hammer (just in case my primary care physician or his wife are reading this). We'll see how Linda's experience went tomorrow.
But here's a question to ponder: Why does it seem like the respiratory therapy people always show up at night?
She's having some pain, but oddly enough not around the incision. But the nurses have said the pain she's having is not uncommon with that kind of surgery. Although from my experience of almost two years ago, the pain really didn't start until the anasthesia wore off in the middle of the night. Her throat was a little sore, but it appears to be getting better.
All in all, today was pretty smooth. Thanks for the all prayers.
If you're thinking of stopping in to see her, please do. As you all know, she's a people person.
Well, that's all for tonight. I need to get some more sleep and love up our confused puppy dog. She keeps looking for her mommy!
Looking ahead to tomorrow: Deacon Bill Brandt is supposed to come in from Alabama.
All I have to say is: Roll Tide!

Jeff
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment